This month, I'm taking inspiration from my love of music and singing and heading back into an era where it was just a man and his horse sometimes. :) Also figured it'd be fun to give you a little challenge too.
Match the line from the cowboy songs lyrics to the title.
Remember, since most of these cowboy songs were passed on by singing from one person to the next before they were written down, several versions of each have survived. The words you remember from any of the songs below might be a little different.
Cowboy Songs Titles:
A. THE OLD CHISOLM TRAIL
B. BUFFALO GIRLS
C. JESSE JAMES
D. BORDER AFFAIR
E. BURY ME NOT ON THE LONE PRAIRIE
F. BILLY THE KID
G. LITTLE JOE THE WRANGLER
H. GIT ALONG LITTLE DOGIES
I. RED RIVER VALLEY
J. GOOD-BYE OL' PAINT
K. SAM BASS
L. HOME ON THE RANGE
M. STRAWBERRY ROAN
N. WHEN THE WORKS ALL DONE NEXT FALL
Cowboy Songs Lyrics:1. "Do not hasten to bid me adieu . . ."
2. "Stay away from that city, they call it Cheyenne . . . "
3. "I don't look much like a lover . . ."
4. "A kinder hearted fellow you seldom ever see . . ."
5. "Out of a job and not making a dime . . ."
6. "It's your misfortune and none of my own . . ."
7. "On a little brown pony he called Chaw . . ."
8. "A group of jolly cowboys discussing plans at ease . . ."
9. "The dirty little coward that shot Mr. Howard . . ."
10. ". . . and I stood there amazed."
11. "And tell of the desperate deeds that he did . . ."
12. "With a $10 horse and a $40 saddle . . ."
13. "I'm off to Montana for to throw the hoolihan . . ."
14. "And dance by the light of the moon . . ."
15. "Where the rattlesnakes hiss and the wind blows free . . ."
BONUS QUESTION: Which of the Old West cowboy songs had these words?
"A tall shanghai rooster and a one spotted hog . . ."
Clue: She was the most sung about lady in the Old West.
COWBOY SONGS MUSIC QUIZ ANSWERS:A. The Old Chisholm Trail (12)
B. Buffalo Girls (14)
C. Jesse James (9)
D. Border Affair (3)
E. Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie (15)
F. Billy the Kid (11)
G. Little Joe the Wrangler (7)
H. Git Along Little Dogies (6)
I. Red River Valley (1)
J. Good-Bye Ol' Paint (13)
K. Sam Bass (4)
L. Home on the Range (10)
M. Strawberry Roan (5)
N. When the Works All Done Next Fall (8)
O. Dreary Black Hills (2)
And the cowboy songs bonus question . . . "a tall shanghai rooster and a one spotted hog . . ." comes from Sweet Betsy From Pike.
NOW IT'S YOUR TURN:
* What is your favorite cowboy song and why? It can be one listed above or another one.
* What do you think was the inspiration for many of the songs from this era?
Leave answers to these questions or any comments on the post below. Come back on the 9th of February for my next appearance.
Tiffany Amber Stockton has been crafting and embellishing stories since childhood, when she was accused of having a very active imagination and cited with talking entirely too much. Today, she has honed those childhood skills to become an author and speaker who has partnered with Nerium International in the anti-aging, wellness, and personal development industry, helping others become their best from the inside out.
She lives with her husband and fellow author, Stuart Vaughn Stockton, in Colorado. They have one girl and one boy, and a Retriever mix named Roxie. She has sold twenty (21) books so far and is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray of the Steve Laube Agency. You can also find her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
I did terribly on the quiz, but what a fun post!!!ReplyDelete
You taught me to think of these as "cowboy songs." I don't know that I'd made the connection. And like Connie R. ... I did terribly.ReplyDelete
I didn't know most of the answers to this fun quiz.ReplyDelete